How To Justify Gap After 12th For Canada?
The Canadian educational system accepts students who have taken a break. Gap year students must adhere to additional rules. Students applying to undergraduate and diploma programmes may take a 2-year break from their studies, while those applying to graduate programmes may take a 5-year break.
The Canadian colleges and universities are accommodating enough for students taking a gap year. It is important to submit some additional paperwork and good justification for the gap year. This blog will serve as a comprehensive resource for the Canadian study gap.
Since there is a good chance they will be given a work permit for one to two years, Indians who are taking gap years opt to Study in Canada. Before it expires, the work permit can be simply extended from within Canada.
You gain from having a work visa in Canada in a variety of ways, including getting a secure job with health benefits. Without further ado, let's learn everything there is to know about the study gap in Canada.
What Is A Study Gap?
Study gaps are periods of time following the completion of the previous qualification during which the student engages in other pursuits rather than pursuing further education. Due to a variety of factors, the majority of students around the world used to take many gap years.
For instance, a student who wants to pursue MBBS has a high likelihood of failing the admission exam, necessitating a gap year. Some graduates choose to work for a year or two, which counts as a gap year.
Is Study Gap Acceptable in Canada?
Yes, in Canada, study gaps with good justification are acceptable. The majority of students in India typically take a gap year for a variety of reasons. As an illustration, a student might work for two to three years or spend more time studying for English examinations like the IELTS.
Therefore, for a specific time frame, Canadian universities allow students who have taken a gap year. The universities and colleges in Canada are accommodating when it comes to accepting students who need a year or two to complete other preparations.
How much of a Study Gap is Acceptable in Canada?
The length of the permitted study break varies to varying degrees in Canada. Study gaps won't be an issue for students who want to study abroad because the number of international students with them in Canada is growing every year.
Additionally, in exceptional circumstances, several Canadian schools and universities accept students with longer study gaps than are allowed. For the university to enrol students with additional gap years, there must be good reasons.
|Program||Allowed Study Gap Years|
Accepted Reasons for Study Gap
The following are some of the explanations that Canadian universities and colleges will accept for students with study gaps who desire to pursue studies overseas but typically have trouble doing so.
- Travelling - After receiving their degrees, many students from throughout the world used to travel. Some students view this as atonement for the difficulties they likely encountered while attending school or during their undergraduate studies. The independence the student acquires through travel will improve their performance during their college years.
- Family - Although not insignificant, family concerns are one of the most difficult aspects. This factor weighs heavily on the institutions because it is not a minor concern.
- Work Experience - Some students choose to get some experience by working after graduation. With further graduation, the student may be able to make the best impression during their job hunt. This aids in the student's professional development. With verification in the form of paystubs and an experience letter, this justification is recognised in Canadian colleges and universities.
- Medical Problems - Students occasionally have accidents and medical ailments that cause their academic progress to stall out. Colleges and universities in Canada will only accept this kind of study break provided the applicant can show a current medical certificate.
- A Second Chance - Students in India are more familiar with the idea of entrance tests. Although some students used to take their time and study for their examinations for more than a year, not all of them were successful. As a result, many prefer to study overseas for a better education as a second opportunity.
- Skill development - In addition to earning a degree or other credential, the majority of students start taking courses like Digital Marketing, Graphic Design, Photography, etc. to hone their talents and prepare for the future. Colleges and universities in Canada take this
- Planning for Finances - Generally speaking, it costs more to attend school in Canada than in India. Not every student in India can afford that. It can take them a year or more to provide the necessary proof of funding.
How to fix Study Gaps for Canadian Student Visa?
The first thing to focus on is providing a compelling explanation for the study gap. A statement of purpose and the necessary supporting documentation can be attached by the student to explain their study break.
Students who have breaks in their studies must provide supplementary paperwork and supporting evidence when applying for visas. Given that the study gap may vary from college to college, giving them a good justification will help you in the admissions process.
Archives, Documents and proof Required to Justify Gap Years
During the application procedure for a visa, some additional documents must be attached. These papers ought to support your activities throughout the study break. Some of the acceptable documents include
- Payslip: The student must have their payslip or an offer letter from the employer they will be working for during the interim period.
- Certificates - The student may also include certificates attesting to the courses or skills they completed during the break.
- Medical certificates - Students who have been in accidents or experienced medical problems may affix the certificates, as long as they have been approved by licenced physicians or hospitals.
- Marksheet – Students who spent a year preparing for entrance tests but failed may submit their result forms or admission tickets as documentation for a study visa.
Other Documents required for study Visa in Canada
- Valid IELTS score
- Letter of acceptance
- Health certificate
- Proof of enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- Statement of Purpose
- Embassy Report
- Academic Documents
- Gap justification
Pros and cons of taking a gap year
- Acquiring a new skill - During a gap year, you can pick up new abilities or a new language. Finding a part-time employment while you are a student in Canada is one of the many advantages of learning a skill or a language. Your CV will stand out to employers if you add a talent.
- Taking a year off to resolve personal or family matters. This will allow you to study in Canada without worrying about anything back home. You may now understand complex circumstances more easily as a result.
- Getting experience through jobs that are relevant to the most recent degree can help you improve professional skills. After graduation, this makes better employment prospects available.
- Some students use their gap years to study for difficult exams, yet they are unable to succeed. The knowledge they receive from this prepares them for future difficult exams.
- Loss of continuity - The majority of students who take a gap year risk losing their academic continuity. They struggle to resume their previous academic form.
- Taking a year off without a worthwhile or significant reason can be a waste of time.
- Financial hazards - Because colleges and universities have different cost structures, there may be a probability of financial risk.
What Happens if I Have a Study Gap of More Than 5 Years?
In Canada, a five-year break is permissible for PG courses. There are some universities that admit students with fair gaps in time, even if there is a gap of five years and you wish to pursue an undergraduate degree. Some colleges and universities give consideration to students who took tests or had work experience during their gap years.
A few documents demonstrating that you are working or studying for examinations while taking a study break are all you need to submit throughout the visa application procedure.
Which Canadian Universities Accept the Study Gap?
Students with study gaps are generally accepted by Canadian colleges and universities under certain conditions. According to the rules, a 2-year study break is authorised for undergraduate and graduate programmes, while a 5-year break is permitted for postgraduate programmes.
Few Canadian institutions turn away applicants who have taken more gap years than what is permitted. Some colleges that are receptive to letting students take longer than the permitted number of years out from school include Centennial College, Humber College, and Seneca College.
Consult with experts at study abroad consultants.
In the subject of consulting for international education, University Bureau is a pioneer. We are able to identify each student's mindset by determining their demands for studying abroad based on their financial situation, academic background, desired job path, and gap years.
We have a group of qualified instructors with experience in the field of international education. We offer both in-person and online IELTS courses, and we allow the students select their preferred format. For the benefit of the students, coaching is delivered in a fun and engaging manner to foster a welcoming learning environment.
Our study abroad advisors at University Bureau provide helpful guidance to students at no cost. They review each student's particular profile and suggest the best colleges and programmes for them based on that analysis. Every student is guided through the procedure and encouraged to create a plan they may utilise while studying abroad.
By aiming to be the best, we provide our students with a top-notch education. For tests including the TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, GRE, and SAT, coaching is offered.
The students have the option of learning in a conventional setting or online. More than 50,000 students have benefited from University Bureau.
Both the paperwork needed for visa applications and the procedure for applying for a student visa are crucial. As a result, the entire Visa application process and interview planning are handled by the University Bureau team.
Our team of experts on study visas prepares the student through mock interviews. These lessons will help you perform effectively at the actual visa interview.
University Bureau teaches students by using a modern method that enables them to comprehend the state of the world today. We make certain that all necessary travel, housing, and accessory arrangements are made in a timely manner. We educate the student on the dos and don'ts of the nation in which they will be studying.
Both benefits and drawbacks might be associated with taking a gap year. In any case, living in the future means making the most of your gap year and then pursuing a career in academia. It enhances various advantages and makes job searching simpler.
It's crucial to concentrate on maintaining your academic momentum after a break.
Additionally, taking a gap year and wasting it by doing nothing constructive could cause university to reject your application. On the other hand, there are some factors that fall under the category of non-negligible cause, including medical conditions and family circumstances.
Some Canadian colleges and universities take these circumstances into consideration. The crucial part of the admissions procedure is attaching the documentation that shows you are making good use of your downtime or had urgent situations to handle. It may increase your chances of being accepted into the particular college.
Students with gap years have been dealt with by University Bureau, and we forced them to obtain accepted into the colleges where they wished to enrol.
1. How many years between studies is acceptable in Canada?
In Canada, a student's study break is only permitted to last two (2) years. However, depending on the situation, some colleges might take into account lengthier periods.
2. Can I study in Canada after a ten-year gap?
Yes. After a ten-year break, you are eligible to study in Canada. You must provide evidence of your financial ability to cover your tuition, travel, and living expenses while studying in Canada in order to apply for a study permit.
3. How can I explain my gap in order to obtain a student visa for Canada?
If you want to get a study visa for Canada, you can explain your absence from school by mentioning things like travel, illness, marriage, the development of your skills, financial arrangements, etc.
What's Your Reaction?